Labels

8/21/11

Maternity - Mad Men Style

When I first discovered Mad Men I developed a major obsession with the show, not least of all because of the costumes.  The formality of daily dressing in the early 1960's makes the simple act of leaving one's home suddenly seem incredibly inspiring.   


Whether in the office, at a party, or even horseback riding, the female characters of Mad Men rock impeccable style that can be breathtaking to behold.  I love the fact that the female office workers, in particular Joan Hollaway, manage to pull off a style that is at once work appropriate and incredibly sexy.  Joan, played by the uber-curvy Christina Hendricks, owns her femininity in a way that is equally alluring and commanding.   


As a woman who is almost as curvy as Christina Hendricks and has left my 20's behind me ....
...I find this classy, fully-covered but form fitting, interpretation of womanhood to be extremely refreshing.  


Needless to say, when I heard that Banana Republic was launching a Mad Men collection,developed in collaboration with the show's costume designer, I had to check it out. Unfortunately, while I love the idea of the collection and think that the marketing campaign is very well done, the clothes themselves didn't meet my expectations. 


I did find one stand out piece that, in addition to being super cute, could also work well for second trimester and postnatal dressing.  While more Betty Draper than Joan Hollaway, I really like this little lace number.  While the waistline is lower than an empire dress, it's a tiny bit higher than the natural waist, allowing a bit more wiggle room for tummy growth.  That detail, paired with the pleating in the skirt and loose underlining, actually allows for substantial lower belly growth!  




The dress is $160 Canadian, so I think I will keep my eye on it for a few months to see if I can score this on sale.  I would feel so cute in this ultra-feminine dress with a string of peals and a big baby bump! 

No comments:

Post a Comment